Friday, July 11, 2008

Easily Entertained

When you see this picture, you may be asking yourself, what's so great about a clothesline? For the seven years we have lived at this house, I have been wanting a clothesline - specifically, an umbrella clothesline. I asked for one on my birthday, Christmas, and Mother's Day. Clay searched for one, but had been unable to find one. Eventually the need for one got lost in the shuffle of other needs and wants. Recently I called up a friend of mine and asked what she was doing. "Hanging out clothes on my new clothesline" she replied. Clothesline?? Where in the world did you find a clothesline?? Seems her husband had been able to find one for her, and she would ask him where he got it. Fast forward a couple of days later, and her husband calls me up and says, "I hear you're looking for a clothesline." Yes, oh yes, where did you find it. "Ernst Hardware," he replies. Now, I'm thinking to myself I haven't heard of Ernst in a while, and didn't they go out of business? Not wanting to sound too dumb, I didn't mention this out loud to him. Wouldn't ya know, later that day he drops off a new clothesline to my husband at work to bring home to me!!!! Yes, Ernst Hardware is no longer in our area, he told me that just so that I wouldn't go looking too hard - he got it at Home Depot. I'm thinking that maybe since people are thinking more "green" these days, clotheslines might start selling again.


So now I will proudly hang my clothes out to dry, helping the environment in small minute way. I will hang my clothes out to dry and not think of it as a chore, but rather a way to enjoy a few minutes of the quietness of the back yard. I will hang my clothes out to dry and think of good friends, and how good a small act of receiving a clothesline can mean so much. Thank you.

No comments:

Sign our Guestbook