Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I'm Walking the (Virtual) Oregon Coast

So, I got this cool idea from a cool friend off of her way cool blog.
I'll be the first to admit that I do not enjoy exercise. Never have.
Chances are that I never will.
Jamee is riding her bike all the way from her home to Chicago.
I, on the other hand will be traveling up the
Oregon coast.
I am starting in Florence, and finishing up my
virtual journey in Lincoln City.
Today is Day One. I rode exactly one mile.
Woohoo.
I am still in Florence, but I am imagining that
I am very near the
Happy Kamper Yarn Barn
which is in north Florence. This is an awesome yarn store.
I know because I've been there -
really.
Jamee, thanks for this
awesome idea!
Maybe one year I WILL be the
biggest loser

Florence, Oregon

One of the town's most complete mercantile stores, located in the Kyle Building, was built in 1901. Bulk goods, farm tools, hats, boots, and other items were sold here, providing residents necessities for life in what was a remote part of the state. The town's vital link across the Siuslaw River was provided by ferry boats until 1936, when the picturesque Siuslaw River Bridge was completed. The ferries were soon made obsolete, overtaken by the growth of the automobile.
Today the town's legacy is still going strong and its history is well-preserved. Historic buildings line the narrow streets and picturesque waterfront of Old Town Florence. The Kyle Building can still be found along Bay Street, where it now represents a perfect example of early Central Coast commercial architecture. There are even a few remnants of the old Siuslaw ferry service on the south side of the river. Finally, there are a number of historic lighthouses left along the Oregon coast, including the one located at Heceta Head, 12 miles north of Florence. The Heceta Lighthouse stands out as one of the most-photographed lighthouses in the nation.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You are awesome Arlene, I love this!

The Mrs. said...

You can do it!!! I want to hear all about your adventures while traveling,virtually of course.

As of today, I am only 1394 miles from my destination, but only 30 miles from Salt Lake City....want a souvenir?

Jamee

I think you are way cool too!!!

Natalie in Sparks said...

Way to go Arlene! What a fun way to mix travel and exercise. Keep us posted!

Sign our Guestbook