Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dinner - Rachael Ray Style

I've always wanted to try a meal that Rachael Ray says is only 30 minutes. I got on the Food Network website, picked an episode out (the Simple Three Course Italian Episode), went grocery shopping Friday morning and Friday evening at exactly 5:00 pm Erin and I got to work. I laid everything I needed for the recipes out on the kitchen table before I started timing myself.
Before I show the pictures and link to the recipes, here's a little "insider" scoop. First, Rachael Ray's menus may be quick and - she claims - only 30 minutes, but they are not easy on the pocketbook. For our family I budget around $400 per month on food, and this trip cost me almost $100.00. Granted, I did buy other things, but that $100 usually gives me enough food for about a week.
*
Here's something else. Surprise, Surprise, it did NOT take only 30 minutes to cook this meal. It took me 50 minutes, and that was with help. 50 minutes of rushing around trying to get the meal done in 30, and I was left with a HUGE mess in the kitchen, probably another 50 minutes of cleanup time. Ugh.
*
The final kicker - the recipes weren't even all that great! Adam and Clay didn't even eat them. But at least I got to play the part of Rachael Ray, even if it was only 50 minutes!
*
Click on the name of the recipe to get the link:
Orecchiette with Crab - Couldn't find orecchiette pasta, so I used mini bow ties





1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

I have a much better recipe for Hummus. I am emailing it to you right now. Goes very well with tortilla chips.

Jamee

Sign our Guestbook